The Student News Site of Severna Park High School

The Talon

One Act What?

One Acts are a unique opportunity during the winter Stage Company season each year when students are invited to write and/or direct their own short play. Most one acts don’t exceed forty-five minutes in length, and are generally comedies. One Acts are also a great way for aspiring thespians to try out an SP Stage Co. production without the commitment or baseline experience necessary by Rock ‘n’ Roll or the Fall production. Many students break into the Stage Company this way– and are inspired to join more productions or drama-sponsored clubs and events.

“The One Acts are the best things we do at Severna Park because the students are in charge,” said SP Stage Company Advisor, Mrs. Germanos. “They get to see what it’s like to be the one making the decisions and getting kids to see their vision and they get to see their their hard work pay off.” Performed in January, alumni judges critique the short shows at the One Act Play Night where they are up to win certain awards like Best Play, Best Actor/Actress and Best Director.

This year,  five productions hit the stage: Sure Thing (directed by Taylor Stokes and Adam Stovall), Lockdown (directed by Xavier Simms-Jackson, 7 Worst Breakups of All Time (directed by Maddie Howard and Cole Cleckner),Where’s My Phone? (directed by Sam Hickman), The Lottery (directed by Matt Hall). 

One Act Play night is a night to celebrate theatrical accomplishments. “One Acts gives everyone the opportunity to be a part of something they otherwise wouldn’t get to be a part of,” said sophomore and student director, Cole Cleckner. Pictured is the cast of 'Where's My Phone?", Sam Hickman's original play that won "Best Play" on January 8.

One Act Play night is a night to celebrate theatrical accomplishments. “One Acts gives everyone the opportunity to be a part of something they otherwise wouldn’t get to be a part of,” said sophomore and student director, Cole Cleckner. Pictured is the cast of ‘Where’s My Phone?”, Sam Hickman’s original play that won “Best Play” on January 8.

On January 8, Ariyana Byrd won the ‘Best Actress’ award while Lauren Carlson received an ‘Honorable Mention’. Nolan Marks took home the trophy for ‘Best Actor’, and Michael Bateman was awarded with an ‘Honorable Mention’. Directors Taylor Stokes and Adam Stovall reigned, winning “Best Directors”, while Cole Cleckner and Maddie Howard were given the ‘Honorable Mention’. ‘Best Play’ of the night went to Sam Hickman’s original play: Where’s My Phone? and ‘Honorable Mention’ to Sure Thing, directed by Adam Stovall and Taylor Stokes.