The Student News Site of Severna Park High School

The Talon

Wish it was easier to get into the District?

Washington D.C. is not only the nation’s capital but a popular destination on weekends for teenagers from Severna Park, with many landmarks and museums D.C., is the place to be. However, the metropolitan city has some of the worst traffic in the region, making it nearly impossible to drive in.

The beltway, a nightmare at rush hour, is the most popular way to travel. However there is an effective way to reach Washington during peak hours: Metro. The second busiest subway network in the United States can take you virtually anywhere in the city, trains run every few minutes, and it’s relatively cheap. Trains travel at a top speed of 55 mph between stations making times between stop quick.

The only downside of Metro is that it does not extend far beyond the district’s city limits. The current farthest Metro station from the heart of D.C. is Shady Grove on the red line located in Rockville, MD which is about 33 miles away from the city’s center. In addition, the recently added silver line, the first section completed in 2014 has plans to bring in commuters from Ashburn,Virginia through Dulles International Airport approximately 35 miles to the heart of D.C. by 2018.  

In comparison Metro lines on Annapolis’ side of Washington D.C., the orange and blue lines, stretch out only 10 miles. Their last stops are New Carrollton and Largo Town Center, respectively. The distance from Annapolis to D.C. is only 30 miles so it would not be any great feat or engineering marvel to bring one of the lines out the Maryland’s capital. The new line would make it easier to travel to D.C., raise nearby home’s values, decrease traffic on the road around Washington D.C. and promote economic growth in the surrounding areas.

Metro rail brings approximately 800,000 people to and from work on weekdays, which equates to 215 million trips per year. Since Metro’s opening in 1976 it has expanded to six lines in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. Without out Metro D.C.’s transportation would be severely crippled.
| Graphic by Connor Killeen