Athlete of the Week

Over the journey to the top, sophomore lacrosse player Shane Carr has greatly impacted Severna Park lacrosse, by always following through and standing out on the field. “I started playing because lacrosse is like a family to me,” said sophomore Shane Carr.

When sophomore Shane Carr was young, he did not play a sport in the spring and then his parents signed him up for lacrosse. “My coach said who wants to be goalie? And I gave it a try and now I play goalie for the varsity team,” said Carr. Carr now is the starting goalie for the varsity Falcons and also plays goalie for the 2019 Annapolis Hawks, last year he transferred from Saint Mary’s and played JV for the Falcons after he transferred and this year made the varsity team.

Being a multi-sport athlete at Severna Park is very important, “I also wrestle for the high school, I was on JV this year,” said Carr. Wrestling has helped Carr become a better goalie, going from JV

to starting on varsity is miraculous.

“The responsibilities I have taken on our being a role model for all athletes at our school, and I have to work even harder to become a better lacrosse player,” said Carr. Severna Park High School takes lacrosse extremely seriously and Carr understands that, coached by David Earl, the falcons just recently won the state lacrosse game last year and they are currently undefeated.

Starting lacrosse at a young age allows children to learn important values, “Lacrosse has taught me values like commitment, character, effort, dedication, and integrity,” said Carr. Every skilled lacrosse player has an interesting beginning story like Carr, “I started playing lacrosse when I lived in Georgia at age six, and where I lived did not have a league so I played with third- graders,” said Carr.

Lacrosse has done a great job on impacting Carr’s life in important ways, “It’s really cool to see all my hard work be recognized and for the school to appreciate the work I’m putting on the field,” said Carr. Playing lacrosse allows the players to have benefits, “The benefits that lacrosse gives me is boosting my confidence by people seeing the efforts I put in,” said Carr.