The Talon

The Recovery of Manchester

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Recovery of Manchester

Steps are being taken toward moving forward across the world. The city of Manchester in England had long road to recovery ahead after a terrorist attack. “We've had a different look on everything now because we fortunately did get out safe and unharmed and we want to do as much as we can for people that didn't. It's given more motivation just to help,” said survivor Shaunna Burns.

Rachael Crumbaker

Rachael Crumbaker

Rachael Crumbaker

Rachael Crumbaker, Media Manager

On May 22, a bomb detonated at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England killing 23 and injuring more than 110 people. Children and adults alike fled the arena in a chaotic mass. After such a drastic loss, the city of Manchester has shown a large sense of unity as citizens come forward to support families who have lost loved ones. Although scared, others rushed to the aid of the injured just hours after the attack. Taxi drivers gave free rides to those in the area, and people living nearby offered a place to find refuge, among them a nearby hotel and Manchester’s Sikh temples. Much of this was organized over Twitter, where people could easily tweet out their location, or photos of friends that they had been disconnected from. In the rush toward the exits and beyond, many lost track of their friends and family, but were able to find them with the help of other concert goers.

Cities around the world have shown their support, some lighting monumental structures with the British flag, others offering charity donations and other resources. World leaders across the globe sent their condolences, among them Queen Elizabeth II, who also traveled to the Manchester Royal Infirmary to speak to survivors of the attack.

Now, Manchester has begun to take steps to recover and honor those that were lost. Ariana Grande, who expressed her sorrow over Twitter a day after the attack, has put together a benefit concert for the victims of the attack. The concert, ‘One Love Manchester’, will feature several other artists, and all proceeds will go toward families affected. This was not Grande’s lone effort however, the singer also reached out to pay for the funerals of those who were lost. Grande was adamant on paying her proper respects, and urge those upset to move forward. Days afterward, she posted a letter to her followers on Twitter, offering her “Heart, prayers and deepest condolences. We will not quit or operate in fear. We won’t let this divide us. We won’t let hate win,” said Grande.

About the Contributor