The Talon

Athlete of the Week

+Julia+Myers+helps+to+improve+the+environment+as+well+as+leading+the+team.+Unified+sports+have+integrated+kids+with+disabilities+and+able+bodies+which+created+a+more+involved+sports+team.+%E2%80%9CUnified+bowling+is+an+activity+I+look+forward+to+year+round%2C%E2%80%9D+junior+Julia+Myers+said.%0A
 Julia Myers helps to improve the environment as well as leading the team. Unified sports have integrated kids with disabilities and able bodies which created a more involved sports team. “Unified bowling is an activity I look forward to year round,” junior Julia Myers said.

Although unified bowling may not be as glorified as the more well-known sports teams, it holds just as tight of a bond. All members of the team are just like any others; they take the bus to games and have the dreaded after school practice.

Julia Myers is a junior at SPHS who values the life lessons she can gain through unified sports. She has been a helpful and active component of unified sports for her entire high school career.

Myers enjoys her role as an upperclassmen leader to help anyone who has the desire to play. She always welcomes the team members to practice and creates a positive environment for all who partake in the sport. “

I just want to make unified sports as positive and enjoyable for everyone as it has been for me”

— Julia Myers

Her main goal is to ensure all members in her lane are able to bowl correctly, as well as providing any support needed, “My favorite part of bowling is spending time with my friends and meeting new people,” Myers said. “My least favorite part would have to be the 4:30 p.m. practice as I can’t get all my homework done quickly,” Myers said.  Unified sports are not typically filled with the athletes that are recruited for Division I colleges, but can be just as successful. Unified bowling is one of the more successful sports teams as they have won county and state titles multiple times, thanks to athletes such as Meyers. Most students do not realize the success of the team and just stereotype it for the unified aspect of it. Meyers is an ambassador for the sport to show that they are just as good as any other team. She is glad to represent unified bowling and is proud of the fact. “The team isn’t divided [by ability] and is a pretty cohesive unit, [which] is nice for all of us to come together over sports,” Myers said.