Ms. Singer Joins the Counseling Center

The pandemic has given Ms. Singer a chance to slow down and be more active.

Michael Hearty, Staff Writer

Ms. Singer has joined the counseling center to help lower student number caseloads for the department, a county initiative paid for through last year’s budget.

What made you decide you wanted to become a counselor? Did someone or something inspire you?

I always wanted to be a child psychologist and when I interned in schools for my undergrad program I realized how much I wanted to work in the school setting instead of private practice with more kids at once instead of one per hour. 

How long have you been a counselor? 

This will be my 14th year as a high school counselor.

What made you want to come to SPHS? 

It was time for a change and I was excited for the opportunity to work with a new team and group of students.

What is most rewarding about being a counselor? 

Seeing students mature and grow over the time they are with us.  Watching them graduate, be successful and come back to share those adventures with us (good and bad) are worth it.

What do you do outside of school? 

I’m a dog trainer.  I teach and compete in agility with my dogs all around the east coast.  When I’m not playing with my pups, I love to be outside or near the water when I can.  I also enjoy spending time with my family and my niece and newborn nephew.

Do you have a family here in the area? 

Not in close vicinity, but my brother and sister in law live in Frederick.  My parents live in southeast Pennsylvania.

How has the pandemic positively or negatively affected your career? 

The pandemic has allowed me to slow down and be home on weekends and evenings instead of working.  It’s allowed me to be more active.  I now have time to get out and enjoy nightly walks and chat with my neighbors.