Severna Park High School Soccer Players Have Found Ways to Stay Active

Kate O’Callaghan, Staff Writer

All Severna Park High School soccer teams have found a way to play and stay active during the Covid-19 pandemic. Players created a recreational league amongst themselves that lasted from September through November. During the spring and summer, many players also practiced and trained on their own as a way to pass time, while some played for their respective club or recreational teams.

“Over the past few months I have been going to Severna Park High School and Kinder to play soccer with a group of about 3-5 friends,” sophomore Gabe Taxay said. “I also have been going to the gym about three times a week [and] I have been doing conditioning by myself at my house and at the soccer field.”

As fall approached, players began to miss their regular soccer season, so they decided to hold practices and weekly mini games with members of the JV and varsity teams and the new freshmen.

“I was planning to try out for the soccer program,” freshman Kate Evans said. “It was great to have this opportunity to be coached by the staff, play with friends and possible future teammates, and feel some sort of connection to my school.

Due to Covid-19 precautions and restrictions, players, coaches and fans had to adapt in order to watch and participate in their games and practices. Masks and social distancing were required for anyone who wasn’t on the field playing and, of course, players had to be responsible to follow the restrictions even when they weren’t at games or practice.

“I follow the recommended Covid precautions on a daily basis,” Evans said. “I wear a mask [and] try to make smart choices about where I go or what I participate in.”

Although the athletes are grateful for the opportunity to have been able to play at all, most of them missed their regular season. Senior Daniel Key said he misses having a larger crowd, team dinners and other team events. However, many players still hold out hope for a regular season in the near future.

“I hope we will get to play our season in the spring, but if not, I hope the underclassmen get a normal season next fall,” Key said. This year has caused a lot of disappointment for athletes, especially seniors, but they have done all that they could to find a way to play. 

I hope that next season we can return to regular play,” Evans said. “I hope to get the full, rewarding experience of playing high school athletics.”

Boys soccer celebrating a goal scored. (Lifetouch )
Girls soccer after a playoff game win last year. (Lifetouch)