Survey: Online Schooling?

Which online learning experience did students prefer: the current learning schedule, or the one from the spring of last school year?

The online learning model changed from the spring of 2020 to the fall of 2020-2021.  Which one did students prefer?

Courtesy AACPS

The online learning model changed from the spring of 2020 to the fall of 2020-2021. Which one did students prefer?

Mike Gaver, Staff Writer

Students were asked opinions on whether they preferred the method of online schooling being used currently over the method of online schooling used from March 2020 to June 2020, or if they preferred neither.

Of the responses, 31.5 percent within the survey were from freshmen,  23.4 percent of responses came from sophomores, 17.1 percent of responses came from juniors and 27.9 percent of responses came from seniors.

The survey found that a strong 48.6 percent of students preferred the method of online schooling used from March of 2020 to June of 2020; meanwhile, 30.6 percent of students preferred the current method of online schooling and 20.7 percent did not prefer either over the other.

The main reason students preferred the method of online schooling used from March of last year to June of last year was because the schedule was far more flexible than it is now. The previous method of online learning provided no official schedule for students to complete their work, allowing them to get their work done at the beginning of the week and have the rest of the week off. It was also noted that the great amount of excess free time offered students the ability to spend more time with their families, better maintain their health or take up more hours at their jobs.

The secondary reason that most students preferred the method of online learning from March to June of last year was the limited quantity of assignments delegated to the students. Students preferred this method of one large assignment a week, as compared to the method used now which is closer to the way assignments were given in school.

In conjunction with the reasons presented by many students above, a multitude of students also mentioned how the new schedule caused dismay towards the way online schooling is currently being administered.