“In My Opinion:” Student and Faculty Thoughts on Returning To School

The conflicting views on the new Hybrid Learning option.

Although we have been out of school for a year, faculty and administration are ready to help make the transition run smoothly.

Zoey Nichols, Staff Member

Severna Park Students and faculty have different opinions on the addition of the Hybrid Learning Option. With this new schedule, students who chose hybrid will be split by their last name and given the opportunity to go into the building two days a week for in-person instruction. This idea was introduced by the county as a way to expedit going back to school.

Many are worried about the growing case numbers in Maryland. Some of the major concerns regard how the use of masks and sanitation procedures will be upheld throughout the seven-hour school day.

“I chose hybrid and honestly, I’m kind of nervous to go back,” sophomore Jillian Zukley said. “I know there is a lot of protection and cleaning put in place, but I still don’t know how everything is going to stay clean and Covid free. I mean think of normal years, one student would get the stomach flu and then the next week half the class would be absent. It just doesn’t seem ideal, but maybe a necessary evil.”

Teachers and other school staff are concerned that going back into the building will present challenges for students as it may not be what they are expecting or accustomed to after being home for so long.

Pullquote Photo

The teachers will be there for support as we go back to school. We are looking forward to seeing students back in the building.

— Lisa Nichols

“There’s going to be a lot of changes around the building,”  SPHS counselor Lisa Nichols said. “The schedule changes and new rules for hybrid will be an adjustment. Not to worry, things will return to normal soon. The teachers will be there for support as we go back to school. We are looking forward to seeing students back in the building.”

The Severna Park community is split with their opinions on going back to school. Between anxiety about cleanliness, mask reinforcement, and vaccines, quite a few students have chosen to continue with virtual learning. County officials will be changing the schedule for both virtual and hybrid students in order to accommodate those in the building.