Seasonal Depression and High Schoolers

As the days grow longer and warmer many high school students begin to feel their spirits lifted as they begin playing sports and enjoying the weather. 

Abigail Petrich

Trees have been blooming all over Severna Park for the past couple weeks signifying that spring has truly sprung. With petals painted with every shade of pink imaginable dancing in the wind and the smell of the flowers just a sniff away, it is impossible to ignore the season of hope and change.

Abigail Petrich, Staff Writer

Seasonal depression is a type of depression that’s related to the change in seasons with most seasonal depression occurring in the fall and winter, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, this can mean less energy and increased moodiness during the colder months. 

Winter in Severna Park is cold and can be debilitating to anyone. But to high school students who for the most part were stuck in their homes doing online school, the effects of winter can be amplified. 

“In the beginning, winter seems so exciting with Christmas/holidays and winter break and fun snow activities,” Chloe Hunt, a sophomore at Severna Park High School (SPHS) said, “But as the months go on, it just never seems to end. You are stuck in this cold, wet, depressing season with nothing to do.”

The lack of sunlight in winter can lead to decreased levels of Vitamin D and serotonin, both resulting in a lack of mood regulation according to the National Institute of Mental Health.  With spring right around the corner and sunshine peeking through the clouds, many students begin to feel hopeful and excited for the summer months. 

“I constantly have to remind myself to make it until spring in the winter seasons” Elliot Gerigg, a sophomore said. “Mid March is a huge relief, and usually I am well prepared from then on to finish the school year on my feet.”

Part of the reason spring can provide such relief for students is summer’s promise of fun and activity that students hope for. 

“I am excited for warmer weather because there are so many more options to occupy my time like going to the pool or playing outside” Hunt said. 

“In general I am very much happier in the spring, summer, and fall seasons” Gerigg said. “I greatly attribute this to my ability during these seasons to be active over 15 hours a week.”

Spending more time outside and well-being is often linked. 

“We know that when we spend time mindfully in nature we feel better and can actually decrease our stress cortisol levels,” Ms. Levy, the school psychologist at SPHS said. 

Spring offers us a time for growth, recovery and positivity. The flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, and everything that hid away in winter begins to reappear. With everything that’s happened this year and last, be sure to take advantage of the good weather. 

“To me, spring means happiness, excitement and fun. It’s a great season because school ends, the weather is just right and Ritas is open,” Hunt said.