Comparing Different Coffee Shops With The Big Bean

Is The Big Bean worth the hype?

By+going+to+three+different+coffee+shops+and+ordering+the+same+thing%2C+a+caramel+iced+coffee%2C+I+found+that+each+one+tastes+different.+Whether+it+be+the+cream+to+ice+ratio+or+the+type+of+coffee+put+in+the+drinks%2C+I+expected+three+coffee+shops+within+close+radius+to+have+a+common+factor%2C+but+they+are+all+unique+in+their+own+way.+

Izzy Williams

By going to three different coffee shops and ordering the same thing, a caramel iced coffee, I found that each one tastes different. Whether it be the cream to ice ratio or the type of coffee put in the drinks, I expected three coffee shops within close radius to have a common factor, but they are all unique in their own way.

Izzy Williams, Staff Writer

I went to Starbucks, Dunkin’ and The Big Bean all within Severna Park, trying to compare the taste of a Caramel Iced Coffee, seeing which one tasted the best. First, I ordered the drink at Starbucks. Analyzing it after a few sips, I got that it was the perfect coffee to caramel ratio. Having a major sweet tooth, I found it to be perfectly sweetened. For a 12 oz. cup, Starbucks puts about one fourth the amount of ice, therefore letting the rest be coffee. The caramel iced coffee consists of three pumps of caramel, iced coffee to the top line, then a splash of half & half upon request. 

Next, I went to Dunkin’, ordering the same drink. Sad to say, it wasn’t as good as Starbucks. It tasted like cream with a hint of coffee. The smallest cup is 16 oz. The drink consists of two pumps of caramel and a splash of half & half. Dunkin’ cheats you out of coffee, filling three fourths of the cup with ice, leaving the remaining one fourth for the coffee and cream mixture. Dunkin’ was a disappointment, but I would be willing to give them a second chance if I order a different drink. 

Finally, I ordered from The Big Bean. Being that this was my first time going to The Big Bean, I asked the same questions: how many pumps of caramel, how much cream and sugar are put in each cup it and how many ounces is in a small. At The Big Bean, a small is 16 oz, similar to that of Dunkin’. They filled about half of the cup with ice , which still gives you the perfect amount of coffee needed for the day. The ingredients include three pumps of caramel and the customer gets to add their own amount of creamer and sugar. Similar to the amount Dunkin’ and Starbucks put in for me, I added a splash of half & half. The first sip was mind-blowing. It was the perfect amount of sweet with a stronger taste of coffee, which I like. 

Comparing all three types of coffee, I think that The Big Bean had the best flavor, followed by Starbucks and then Dunkin’.

A 12 oz. iced coffee from Starbucks is $3.45. At Dunkin’, it is $2.64. Finally, at The Big Bean, it is $2.91.

I think that no matter what you order from Starbucks, it is always overpriced. Dunkin’ was the cheapest but doesn’t have the best coffee. I think the Big Bean is a perfect little coffee shop for high school students who don’t want to spend too much money on one drink or are looking for a local shop to support .