Winter Wardrobe Tips

How to spice up your winter outfits while staying warm.

Amanda Vu, Opinions Editor

Bringing colder temperatures and a festive holiday season, winter is the perfect time to experiment with different textures, layers and styles to level up your wardrobe. Here are some ways to spice up your favorite clothing pieces this winter season.

Accessories are Everything

Does your outfit look too basic or boring? A simple solution is adding accessories such as jewelry (necklaces, rings, earrings), a beanie or hat, belt or even a bag or fanny pack. These simple exteriors will make your outfit look more put-together and highly unique to your style. 

Amanda Vu
Senior Yasmeen Hembree wearing a beanie and necklace chains from Zumiez. Hembree loves thrifting and finding unique clothing pieces not many people have. “Adding accessories makes an outfit 10 times better and shows more personality than clothes can,” Hembree said. 
Erin Kearney
Senior Maddy Gillin wearing a simple black belt and beanie from Amazon. Gillin loves accessorizing and staying on top of fashion trends. “I think fashion is really cool because it’s all about self-expression,” Gillin said. 

Outerwear Matters

Instead of its sole purpose being to keep you warm, let your outerwear complement your outfit. Play around with different coat textures and lengths, and find what feels good to you. Jackets can also add dimension to an outfit, whether you’re going for a sleek, classy look to a baggy, street style inspired look. From puffer jackets, trench coats, utility jackets and parkas, there are limitless options.

Brittany Seda
Senior Sofia Urrutia styling a leopard-print teddy coat. Being a Pinterest-guru. Urrutia looks forward to making her outfits. “I love how the jacket adds an element of chic style to any winter outfit while also keeping me super warm,” Urrutia said. 
Raven Glister
Senior Raven Glister wearing a puffer vest. A fan of being comfortable in her clothes, Glister always opts for the cozy option. “This puffer vest is super durable and can be layered on top of any outfit,” Glister said. 

Layer like There’s No Tomorrow

As the colder temperatures roll in, layering clothes has never become more cozy and chic. Providing extra warmth, they also add a level of luxury that makes any outfit look more sophisticated and classy. Invest in some good turtlenecks for a base layer and over sized clothing items (shirts, pants, etc.) to layer on top. Layering transforms even the most basic of clothing pieces into a collective work of art.

Amanda Vu
Freshman Aidan Darling adding a pop of pattern with a collared shirt underneath a simple white sweater. Darling loves to layer because it adds class to an otherwise basic outfit. “I always feel more put-together when my outfits are layered,” Darling said.  

Experiment with Shoes 

Usually the last item thought about when making an outfit, shoes make a big difference in the overall style of the outfit. They have the power to change an outfit from low key casual to classy chic and vice versa. Warm and trendy, boots are a winter staple. With new boot styles and trends coming out every winter, there are so many to choose from, including the classic ankle boot to classy sock booties and riding, platform and combat boots just to name a few. Just make sure that the boots flow nicely with the type of pants you are wearing and that the patterns don’t clash. Pulling all the pieces together, shoes are a major step (pun intended) towards a well-rounded outfit.

Courtesy of Nadia Sodczak
Senior Nadia Sobczak wearing black combat boots from Dr. Marten. An iconic and widely beloved shoe, Dr. Martens are a staple to any winter wardrobe. “They go with everything and are very versatile,” Sobczak said. 
Campbell Haney
In this outfit, I paired these pastel Nikes with these loose-fitting track pants to tie in the outfit’s pink and purple tones. Super lightweight and durable, Nikes make a long day of running around comfortable and stylish.

Hopefully, these tips help spruce up your winter outfits and ensure a warm and stylish fashion season. Be sure to let your imagination run wild and creativity shine in every outfit you put together. As Rachel Zoe once said, “Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.”