Staying Healthy During Quarantine

Although it can be hard sometimes, here are a few ways to keep healthy during quarantine.

Nick Ivey

Exercise in quarantine can be very difficult. Having gone from a gym at hand to no gym at all has been difficult for a lot of people. “I used to hit the gym three, maybe four times a week. Without it, it’s been pretty hard to stay fit,” Gavin Ivey said, a student at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama.

Nick Ivey, Staff

Quarantine has the uncanny ability to drain away energy and motivation, dragging people into the abyss of constant exhaustion and boredom. At times it can feel like self-isolation will never end, but there are ways that we can bring ourselves back to reality. Exercising or getting some kind of physical activity in every day helps to establish routine, which is sorely needed for a lot of people right now. And without a gym membership handy, it can be difficult to properly get fit, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. With some of these tips, you’ll be sure to stay healthy and fit. 

1. Set goals 

Setting goals and then achieving those goals can help set structure to your life in this chaotic time. The WHO suggests “150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity physical activity per week, or a combination of both.” Setting a goal for yourself to exercise maybe 20 minutes every day is a great way to stay healthy.

2. Look to the internet

There’s a plethora of online classes for all skill levels out there. Many of these are free and easy to do, with thousands of workout videos on Youtube. Hundreds of workouts can be done without any equipment, but if you have no experience with these exercises, you need to be cautious and aware of your own limitations.

3. Stand up

Reducing your sedentary time, otherwise known as the time you’re sitting or laying down, is very beneficial. Taking a break from sitting down every 30 minutes or so can get blood flowing properly. However, when sitting or laying down, try stimulating your mind by trying puzzles, games or reading.