Headline: Managing School and a Job

Subheadline: SPHS students juggle school work on top of jobs.

Teenagers working is not a rare occurrence, but that doesn’t mean it’s not difficult. As years go on school is more challenging and more pressure is put on students to succeed. “ I love being able to make extra money working at Homestead Gardens but sometimes it interferes with the amount of time I have to do my college applications.” SAID WHO???

Bella Boettinger, Staff Writer

The year 2020 has been nothing short of unpredicatable, employment rates have decreased and school has become virtual due to the coronavirus pandemic. But all of these unfortunate events haven’t stopped Severna Park High School students from managing school and work at the same time. “I have worked at Homestead Gardens for a couple of years and I really like it. It’s nice being able to make extra money while still being a student. The only setback is that sometimes I don’t have time for homework or college applications,” senior Ethan Kent said.  Jobs can be hard to come by but there are many Severna Park part time jobs that are willing to hire high school students.

Another example is just a few steps away from Homestead, La Posta Pizzeria. La Posta is an Italian restaurant which has employed people of all ages and has been a reliable source of income to high school students. “This is my third year working there and I know the routine like the back of my hand. I like having a job during school because it encourages me to do my work on time and in a productive manner,” senior Salma Abushi said. Employees have been working there for years and continue to in the future while being a full time student. Although having a job can be a lot of work especially with school, it’s a good idea if you don’t have a lot going on, especially if you’re stuck inside all day with virtual school. “It was really difficult to get the right mentality to do my school work, but ever since I started working at Pizza Bolis’ I’ve been motivated and making extra money,” junior Arden Hooper said. 

There are dozens  of small businesses in Severna Park looking for people to do small jobs.