The Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2021

A list of the most awaited films to enjoy this summer.

Sydney Herz

With theaters lifting their capacity limits and restrictions, audiences are now able to view their favorite movies on the big screen with buttered popcorn and friends by their side this summer.

Sydney Herz, Editor-In-Chief

Movie theaters are back and what better way to spend a hot summer day than inside watching the movie you’ve been waiting for all year. With theaters and production being shut down for a while due to Covid-19, films had to be pushed back, prolonging the wait period for these hyped up films to finally hit theaters this summer. 

1. “Fast And Furious 9”

The ninth action/adventure movie of the “Fast and Furious” franchise that is sure to keep you entertained every second with its thrilling car chases and huge explosions. Following the events in “The Fate of the Furious” released in April 2017, the main character, Dominic, played by Vin Diesel must join his crew after living a quiet life in order to save his family from his younger brother, Jakob, played by John Cena. Other actors who make an appearance in the film are Charlize Theron, Tyrese Gibson and Michelle Rodriguez. The film is set to release in theaters only on June 25, running a total of two hours and 25 minutes long. 

2. “The Forever Purge”

Another movie released within a large franchise is set to hit theaters on July 2. The fifth, and reportedly final film in the Purge franchise has little known about its plot. Following the 2016 “Purge: Election Years,” this film is said to revolve around the stranded Mexican couple living in Texas who must escape from a group of outsiders who plan to continue their Purge even after it has been outlawed. This horror action film may be too much for some audiences, as it is rated R for violence. 

3. “Black Widow”

Oh how long Marvel fans have waited for the day this film hits theaters. July 9 is the day audiences will be able to view this movie in theaters or on Disney Plus Premier Access for $30. As the first movie in Phase Four of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, this film lands as an origin story for Russian spy Natasha Romanov, played by Scarlett Johansson. Following the events of “Captain America: Civil War,” we learn more about Romanov’s past and the conspiracies and dark truths she must confront along the way. 

4. “Space Jam: A New Legacy”

In the sequel to the popular original, “Space Jam,” this film changed up the cast a bit when they gave the lead role to LeBron James, rather than Michael Jordan. This film is sure to entertain every member of the family when the NBA superstar teams up with Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes to save his son from the grasps of the villain, Al-G Rhythm, played by Don Cheadle. Voicing some of the characters are Zendaya and Gabriel Iglesias. This film is set to hit theaters July 16. 

5. “The Suicide Squad”

With a new director and a whole new cast, minus the beloved villain, Harley Quinn, played by Margot Robbie, this sequel is set to hit the big screen in theaters and HBO Max on August 6. This film plans to gain traction with the new director, James Gunn, who also directed the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films, and the other villains including Sylvester Stallone as King Shark, John Cena as Peacekeeper and Idris Elba as Bloodsport. 

6. “Free Guy”

While it isn’t part of the witty Deadpool franchise, “Free Guy” brings all of the necessary laughs and action to the big screen. Ryan Reynolds continues to please the audience with his sarcastic humor and unexpected heroic ways. Reynolds plays a bank teller who realizes he is a video game character in someone else’s game and plans to break out of his role to become the hero himself. This film plans to release August 13 with stars Joe Keery and Channing Tatum alongside Reynolds.

7. “Beatles”

The timeless classic rock band has told their story multiple times over the years, but never quite like this. In this documentary-type film, director Peter Jackson who also directed the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, showcases footage of the friendship, conflict and deep love the bandmates had for one another through their music and long hours creating classic pieces. This film is set to hit theaters August 27. 

8. “He’s All That”

TikTok superstar Addison Rae landed her first movie role in this remake of the 22-year-old “She’s All That” film. Alongside Rae will be Tanner Buchanan as the dorky student Cameron and original lead, Rachel Leigh Cook as Rae’s mother. Rae’s character, Padgett attempts to transform Cameron into an attractive jock in the ultimate high school makeover. Other stars set to make appearances in the film are Peyton Meyer, Madison Pettis and Kourtney Kardashian. See it all on the big screen August 27.