The Student News Site of Severna Park High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Recent Sports Scores

Snowboarding vs. Skiing

Which one is better? Find out in this Article!
Ian Ireland
Snowboarding doesn’t have to be a solo activity, going with friends and family can make it all the more enjoyable. Severna Park High School seniors Hamzah Hassan, Derrick Liu, Eric Chu and Ian Ireland snowboarding.

A popular debate over the course of time has been snowboarding vs. skiing. Clearly, we all know which one is better. Snowboarding clearly takes the cake here, more steez, more fashionable and simply just cooler. Now, of course there are actual reasons why snowboarding is better, but let’s look into the history of both of these snow sports. Snow sports have been a thing for a very long time, for example, the first skis date back to 8000 b.c.e. A little later than that, in 1965, snowboarding was first invented. Snowboarding was invented by a man named Sherman Poppen, then perfected by Tom Sims and Jake Burton Carpenter. Snowboarding was heavily inspired by skateboarding and a desire to try something other than skiing. Skiing was originally used as a way of transportation down mountains during wars, though snowboarding wasn’t used for a cool method like that, we can all agree that it is way cooler now.

Alright, now the first reason why snowboarding is the clear winner, is because of the way the learning curve works with both of the sports. You see, when it comes to snowboarding, it is harder to pick up than skiing, but mastering snowboarding comes with a lot more ease. The struggle that comes with picking up snowboarding will teach you defeat, failure, but most importantly, the ability to overcome diversity. The strength and confidence you gain from learning the basics of snowboarding is very rewarding, as well rewarding in the sense that you can totally learn cool tricks such as 360’s in no time. Now, some might say that since its harder it will drive away more people and kill many people’s spirits. That is totally and completely dumb and false. True snowboarders are strong-willed, and anyone who wants to get into the sport seriously will put the time and effort into doing so. Or, people might say skiing is better because it’s easier to learn, but again, people will be drawn away from the fact they can’t do tricks and simply won’t look as cool as someone snowboarding.

Another reason why snowboarding is better, is simply because of the boots that are worn. Snowboarding boots are a lot more comfortable and make it easier to simply just walk around the resort. Skiing boots make it harder to walk and are nowhere near as comfortable. Snowboarding boots are a lot cheaper as well which brings me to my third reason.

Overall, snowboarding is a lot cheaper than skiing. Snowboarding being cheaper allows for more people to pick up the sport and make snow sports not an absolutely ridiculous price. Now, all the reasons that snowboarding is better than skiing cannot just be stated in this article, so why don’t you go find out for yourself?

The closest ski resort to Severna Park High School would be Liberty Mountain Resort. Depending on the time of year, ski lift tickets can cost anywhere between $70-$150. Since it will probably be your first time, you’re going to need to rent some equipment, luckily, the mountain has all of that waiting for you. You can rent a snowboard, boots, and a helmet for $61, the only thing you will need to provide yourself is some nice comfy and warm clothing. Now with all of this information, you should be able to make a smart decision and find your true passion that’s been hiding all this time, what are you waiting for?