2019 Severna Park Earth Day Festival

On April 29, 2019 Severna Park High School held its Earth Day Festival with booths by community organizations.

Although the festival is held at SPHS, Severna Park Middle School is just as involved. The school had their own booth to collect donations and promote free trees to help save the environment. “It’s great that we can get everyone involved in the festival, it shows that we can make a change” junior Jake Powell said.

Holly Hutcheson, Staff Writer

The Severna Park High School Earth Day Festival is always a big hit with the community. One of the booths at this year’s festival was the Maryland Animal Sanctuary and Rescue Organization. “The Maryland Animal Sanctuary is a rescue that takes dogs and cats out of high kill shelters and they put them into foster homes until they can find their forever homes” junior Himmi Wahla said.
Live entertainment is a large part of the Earth Day Festival. This year Severna Park reached out to local bands to come and perform at the festival such as Benfield Elementary’s own, The Pop Rocks. “I’m glad to see my little sister getting involved with the festival” sophomore Kalyssa McNutt said about her sister Syrenne, the keyboardist for The Pop Rocks.
Alex’s Lemonade stand is a popular club at SPHS created to help raise money and awareness for childhood cancer. Seniors Brooke Atcheson and Shelby Chasser worked the booth at the festival and sold lemonade at to raise money for the club. “We raised over $300 that will all be donated to Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation and help children battling cancer,” Atcheson said.
A prominent movement at SPHS is spreading mental health awareness. Juniors Parker Cross and Sabina Khan spent their Saturday morning helping at the Burgers and Bands booth, an organization dedicated to raise funds and awareness for suicide prevention. “Mental health is something that is important to everyone and we all know someone who is struggling; helping out with this organization really helps spread awareness,” Cross said.