Our Minds Matter

A look at the new movement started by five SPHS students.

Group co-founders Sabina Khan and Lauren Carlson hold a check for a 1,500 donation from local charity, Burgers and Bands. “We are so excited to keep fighting the good fight with you,” the group said.

Lily Dougherty, Staff Writer

Graphic courtesy of Harper White.
Information about the upcoming March for our Minds, which will take place on May 1 and aims to raise awareness about mental health issues. “Unless we are able to feel more comfortable talking about mental illness, we will be stuck in the same cycle forever,” group co-founder Megan Moulsdale said.
Graphic courtesy of Harper White.
Information about the group’s Our Minds Matter rally, which will take place in Annapolis on May 18. “The more people that care, the more real change we can make together,” Moulsdale said.

Though many Severna Park students, teachers, and community members alike took notice when parents lined Benfield and Robinson Road with signs of encouragement and affirmation in early March, some SPHS students decided to take the message even further, founding the “Our Minds Matter” movement.

Started by juniors Parker Cross, Sabina Khan, Megan Moulsdale, Katrina Schultz and senior Lauren Carlson, the main goal of the movement (“OMM” for short) is to increase not only awareness of, but funding for mental health and mental health resources in public schools.

The group’s goals are built on erasing the stigma around discussing mental health. “When resources are available, those who need assistance will not be afraid or guilty to receive help,” the group shared.

Though the group has only just been formed, it already has two major events planned. The first is March for our Minds, a walk from St. Martin’s in the Field Church to Severna Park High School, will take place at 6 a.m. on May 1, 2019. The second event, an even larger-scale rally, will take place in Susan Campbell Park in Annapolis on May 18, 2019, and will be accompanied by speakers and mental health workshops. The group has also received various donations through GoFundMe, as well as a $1,500 donation from local suicide prevention organization Burgers and Bands.

For more information, visit the Our Minds Matter Movement Facebook page, @MvmtOur on Twitter, or @ourmindsmattermvnt on Instagram.