The Student News Site of Severna Park High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Recent Sports Scores

A Class President’s Classy Pursuit

Rory Jenkins, the senior Class of 2024’s President, details past achievements as well as upcoming goals for this school year’s itinerary.
Rory Jenkins
On the observation deck of Edge, a skyscraper, overseeing the New York City skyline. “My experience in this leadership position has taught me the vital skills of communication and planning. With hands-on experience working with adults and organizations, I plan to make change at a larger scale,” Class President Rory Jenkins said. “In college, I plan on participating in student government to make a direct impact in my college community by working alongside professors, older students, and community based organizations. Eventually, I would like to take my understanding of leadership learned through this position to the national level by becoming a member of the United States House of Representatives.”

As a sophomore, I focused on using my leadership position to organize fundraising events for foundations such as the SPCA and United Help Ukraine. My duties as President junior year expanded to including class events as well as choosing a location for prom. Going into senior year, I began my duties in the summer by planning the first class event: senior sunrise. Now, I am working alongside my other class officers to plan class and school events to create a sense of community. The biggest aspect of my leadership position as a senior is planning all aspects of the 2024 class prom.

I was first elected to this position at the end of my freshman year in high school to be the 2024 Class President during my sophomore year. I was elected once again at the end of my sophomore year to stay president for junior year. In May of 2023, I was reelected for a third time to be senior Class President.

When I was first chosen to be Class President, my first thought was immediately to thank students in my grade for their support. From there, I began to think of what events I could do to bring my class closer together and improve our community. I have maintained this thinking since freshman year in an effort to continue to make change in the school community.

By far, my favorite activity as Class President was the United Help Ukraine bracelet sale I organized. Just days after the war in Ukraine began, Eleni Puzas and I came up with an idea to help Ukrainians affected by the war. We were given just three days to prepare for the fundraiser and the two of us spent the weekend making over 300 bracelets. The fundraiser ended up being a success and a large amount of students had bought one of the blue and yellow bracelets. Seeing so many students participate in such an important fundraiser was the best feeling I have experienced as Class President.

I was originally inspired to run for Class President after learning more about how our community handled mental health. After being told by friends attending other high schools in the county that Severna Park is nicknamed “Suicide High,” I realized I needed to do something. I believed then and still believe that the best way to break the stigma around mental health is through education, conversation, and inclusion. I knew as Class President I could work to make all three happen. Ultimately, I ran for Class President to make a change in our community by helping others feel wanted and happy.