The Talon

Formula for Success

How to get accepted into college

+With+deadlines+around+the+corner%2C+you+may+be+curious+of+what+raises+your+odds+of+being+admitted.+Admissions+counselors+concluded+that+it+is+different+for+each+school.%E2%80%9CRealize+that+where+you+go+to+school+is+not+nearly+as+important+as+what+you+do+when+you+get+there%2C%E2%80%9D+the+director+of+admissions+for+St.+Mary%E2%80%99s+College+of+Maryland%2C+Kristina+C.+Anderson+said.+Graphic+by+Alena+Carhart.%0A
 With deadlines around the corner, you may be curious of what raises your odds of being admitted. Admissions counselors concluded that it is different for each school.“Realize that where you go to school is not nearly as important as what you do when you get there,” the director of admissions for St. Mary’s College of Maryland, Kristina C. Anderson said. Graphic by Alena Carhart.

Alena Carhart, Editor in Chief

From freshman in high school to freshman in college, it is no doubt that time flies. Senior year may seem like a blur but don’t let the stress of failure get you down. Before the admission decision time begins, make sure you follow the basic procedures. Know your deadlines way in advance. “Finish your high school career strong. College can request senior grades and upward trends can positively impact the decision,” Towson University Admissions Counselor, Van Dinh said.

Once you get pass those steps, take the SAT/ACT tests and work on your college essay. Some schools consider the essay as a secondary factor while others like Towson University take it heavily into consideration. “To me, an good essay makes an application outstanding. An essay is a personal touch point for your application. It helps us get to know you on a personal level,” Dinh said, “It also tells us if you take the process seriously so make sure you spend time to write your essay and proofread carefully before submitting.”

Standing out can be as simple as being yourself. “Each student is unique, so when I see a student telling me stuff that is real about themselves, as opposed to what they think “looks good,” that really stands out as being a student who is genuine and has integrity,” the director of admissions for St. Mary’s College of Maryland, Kristina C. Anderson said, “I don’t want perfect; I want real.”

Applying early does not make a difference in your acceptance rate for most schools but it can open the door for scholarships. “There are advantages of applying early such as: scholarship consideration, more time to work with admissions counselor on how to strengthen your application, receiving admission notification early and a way to express your strong interest in the college,” Anderson said.

The final tip on getting admitted is to take a deep breath. “My biggest tip is to just relax” Anderson said, “We put a lot of pressure on young people, and the Admissions business can get a little out of hand. So, keep things in perspective. Most students will land at a great school for them.”

About the Writer
Alena Carhart, Editor in Chief

Alena Carhart is a senior at SPHS and this is her second year on the Talon staff. This year she is one of the Editor in Chiefs and she is ecstatic to be working with such a talented staff. Aside from the Talon, she writes for The Severna Park Voice and the Cappies Critics of Baltimore. Outside of newspaper, she is president of the Thespian society, the historian of Tri-M, and she works at Bruster’s Ice Cream.