The Student News Site of Severna Park High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Recent Sports Scores

The Significance of Cinema 

Understanding the importance of what you watch and why it can have a lasting impact on you.
hoozone
The photo is mainly focused on a young girl who is watching a movie in the theaters. Movies often teach valuable lessons through breath taking stories that make it hard for you to take your eyes off of the screen.

Growing up in the early 2000s I’ve grown up in a world where movies and TV shows have been a huge part of shaping my childhood and understanding of the world. From timeless classics to modern marvels, visual stories have left an indelible mark on my upbringing, influencing the way I see myself and the world around me.

One of the earliest influences on my childhood was Disney. Whether it was watching Cinderella’s fairy-tale romance or singing along to the catchy tunes of “The Lion King”, Disney movies transported me to magical worlds where anything was possible. These timeless tales taught me important lessons about bravery, friendship, and the power of believing in myself.

Similarly, shows like “Good Luck Charlie” and “Jessie” were staples of my childhood. From the crazy antics of the Duncan family or the constant trouble the Ross children got into and these shows provided endless hours of entertainment and sparked my imagination in ways I’ll never forget.

But as I’ve grown older, my tastes in movies and TV shows have evolved, reflecting the changing world around me. Modern-day examples like “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” have become new favorites, offering fresh perspectives and tackling issues that resonate today.

The Barbie movie, for example, broke down barriers about feminism and expressed the challenges of being a woman and living in a man’s world. It allowed for young girls to see their potential and let them recognize that they too can do anything they set their mind to. When I saw that movie I knew that it was going to inspire so many people. It allowed for conversation about an ongoing topic to be talked about more openly. 

On the other hand, “Oppenheimer” explores themes of identity, technology, and the human experience in a rapidly changing world. Through its gripping storytelling and thought-provoking narratives, Oppenheimer challenges me to question the world around me and imagine the possibilities of the future.

In many ways, these modern-day examples build upon the foundation laid by the classics of my childhood, offering new perspectives and pushing the boundaries of storytelling in exciting ways just like how Nicole Kidman says in her AMC advertisement “we are not just entertained but somehow reborn”. Whether I’m watching a Disney classic or diving into the Barbie movie, I’m reminded of the power of movies and TV shows to shape my understanding of the world and inspire me to be the best version of myself.

In the end, movies and TV shows are more than just a form of entertainment—they’re a window into different worlds and a reflection of the hopes, dreams, and aspirations of my generation. And as I continue to grow and explore the world around me, I’m grateful for the role that movies and TV shows have played in shaping my childhood and shaping the person I am today.