Sunshine Not Screens

Outdoor activities Severna Park students are using to escape technology.

Seniors Molly Beairsto (right), Isabella Glady, Kennedy Wolfe, and Delaney Lee (left) go hiking in Patapsco Valley State Park. Several students have taken day trips to go hiking and enjoy the sights when they have a moment to spare. “I really enjoyed the hike and views. Spending the day with my friends outside was a great way to relax outside of online classes,” senior Delaney Lee said.

As the pandemic continues, some of us are still struggling to decide what we should do with the abundance of time on our hands. While summer is transitioning into fall, the weather is temperate and perfect for spending extra time outside. Whether it be hiking or just relaxing on a porch, Severna Park High School students are finding creative, active ways to spend their time. 

A popular spot in Maryland to go hiking is Patapsco Valley State Park. Several students have taken a day to hike, fish, picnic, or just relax here instead of spending more time online. According to Patapsco’s website it has 70 miles of maintained hiking trails open to the public.

“It was pretty and a great break from looking at a screen.”

— Rebecca Cremmins

https://youtu.be/CKsofzT70nk
Kalyssa McNutt

Unlike most of the farmland in Maryland, Patapsco is a forest filled with streams and scenic views. “It’s really pretty because there are waterfalls along the hikes, and the trails aren’t too challenging,” senior Kate Stefancik said. Another serene area to hike and enjoy the fall sunshine is Rock State Park. The most popular area of Rock State Park is known as Kilgore Falls, home to a 17-foot waterfall with a wading pool at its bottom. On warmer days, people can swim and sunbathe by the water, but even as the days grow colder the site is still open to relax or picnic.  

For those who enjoy a little more risk, an alternative to hiking is cliff jumping. Senior Kalyssa McNutt, spent her summer looking for good spots to plunge. Her favorites were Patapsco, Conowingo, and Hyde’s Quarry. “Finding cliff jumping spots this summer has been one of the best things I’ve ever done,” McNutt said. While cliff jumping is enjoyable, make sure you remain safe by wearing a pair of water-proof sneakers and researching the best spots to jump.  

Finally, with the arrival of fall, The Maryland Corn Maze has opened at Sunrise Farms. Along with a large corn maze to spend most of your day getting lost in, the farm has tractors, swings, and many activities. The cozy farm has kettle corn and pumpkins to get you ready for a fun Halloween. With Covid-19, the site is only allowed to open with 75 percent capacity and masks are required so do not forget to bring one.