The Talon

Healthy Alternatives to Fast Food Chains

Although Chick-fil-A is well known throughout the community, the restaurant’s food lacks the proper nutrition with a majority of their menu. Since the fast food chain was built in 2013, it has become one of the most popular restaurants in Severna Park. “I have gone broke from going to Chick-fil-A so many times after school is done for the day. The food may not be healthy but it’s delicious,” said sophomore Kyle Jefferds.

Shelby Chasser

Shelby Chasser

With Chick-fil-A, McDonald’s, Five Guys, Subway, Taco Bell and other fast food restaurant chains located in Severna Park, it is nearly impossible to avoid going out every once in a while to grab a bite to eat. Although most argue that their food is rather good, the food is not good for your body, plus it costs precious money one can use for other necessities. Instead of eating at monopolized fast food chains, consider eating at the following:

At home; believe it or not your house is most likely filled with snacks, fruits, nuts and other foods that provide the nutrients and vitamins you are suppose to consume daily compared to the 540 calorie Big Mac you can pick up for $5.69. For some recipe ideas check out the following:

52 Meals in 12 Minutes or less

Homemade Recipes for a Clean Diet

Healthy Recipes

Fast casual restaurants; the concept of ‘fast food fresh’ is introduced to restaurants that provide freshly served dishes, with ingredient lists provided next to the dish, and the dishes are made-in-house. Often these type of restaurants provide a good source of protein and vitamins. Common fast casual restaurants include Chipotle and Panera. For other fast casual restaurants click here.

In grocery stores, you can often stroll into a market and find already prepared food sections that are cheaper in comparison to fast food chains. Most of the time you can find good sources of fiber, including frozen salads, chicken caesar wraps, and meals with banana and nuts.

About the Photographer
Shelby Chasser, Sports Editor
Shelby Chasser is currently a junior serving as the Sports Editor for the Severn Park High School’s newspaper, The Talon. Chasser has an older brother, Dalton Chasser, who attended University of Maryland College Park and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Engineering, as well as an older sister, Bailey Chasser, who is a junior...