The Talon

Athlete of the Week: Reid Hussey

In and out of the pool, senior Reid Hussey is a leader by demonstration and compassion.

Shelby Chasser, Sports Editor

Beginning seven years ago in the summer of 2010, senior Reid Hussey joined a local swim team in his neighborhood, the Oakleigh Forest Piranhas. From when he joined the small summer swim team to now, Hussey has participated in three YMCA sponsored national swim meets and will be going to another national meet in April of 2018.

Besides from being a part of the summer swim team, in the fall of 2010 he joined the SPY swim team, or Severna Park YMCA, and is still currently an active member on the team.
In addition to both the seasonal summer swim team and SPY, he has been a member of the high school’s swim team since freshman year.

Hussey’s first race in the pool in 2010 was when he discovered he loved swimming. “The most rewarding part about swimming is the hard-work that pays off from 5:00am practice while the rest of you [the students] bums are sleeping in ,” Hussey said. His work ethic is clearly shown through his record setting times. In his last national meet he went to in 2017, Hussey qualified for twelve individual events, but due to YMCA regulations in the championship meet only four events are allowed per swimmer. In the last YMCA nationals he participated in, he swam the events, 200 Butterfly, 200 Backstroke, 400 IM and 1000 Freestyle. His cumulative fastest time comes in with 200 Butterfly with a time of 1:51.99, and a solid second faster with 1000 Freestyle with a time of 9:29.41.

Aside from competing, Hussey has made some amazing memories from joining these teams. “The coolest place I have been is Indianapolis at IUPUI [Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis] for YMCA Nationals,” Hussey said. Being a part of so many teams, he is fortunate to travel in order to compete.
Joining these teams have given him an opportunity to make new friends. “My team camaraderie is one of my favorite parts about swimming,” Hussey exclaimed.

Reid Hussey is currently an active participant on the SPHS swim team coached by Matt McKenny. Over the past few years, Hussey has improved his talents that has helped the team receive win after win. “Swimming together is amazing and fun. He’s an amazing person and swimmer,” fellow teammate Izzy Stone said.

About the Writer
Shelby Chasser, Editor in Chief

Shelby Chasser is the Editor-In-Chief for the print edition of The Talon, and this will be her third year a part of the newspaper publication at SPHS. Outside of the publication, she is the president of the Lemon club, a part of the National Honor Society, a member of the SPHS girls varsity soccer team and partakes in the Best Buddies International program.