Senior Night: Field Hockey

A majority of the seniors on the field hockey team have been a member since their freshman year. In the past three years they have won two state championship titles and are about to start their fourth year playoff season. “The team has been like a home for the past four years,” senior Alex Miller said. All photos by Deidre King.

Shelby Chasser, Editor in Chief

On October 9, 2018, the 12 seniors who are a part of the varsity field hockey team participated in senior night. Each member walked down the field with their family’s by their side celebrating their last ever regular season game on the home field. A majority of the seniors have been members of the field hockey program for all four years of high school.

Alex Miller is walking down the field with her mother Dina and father Tom. She has been and played center forward for the past four years on the team. “Winning states my freshman year is one of the most memorable things about the team,” Miller said.
Ashley Giard is walking down the field with her mother Heidi, father Edward and younger sister Tina. She has been a part of the high school program for all four years and started to play when she was in fifth grade. “One of my favorite memories of field hockey is when we drove to Mount De Sales [academy] for a game, but then it turned out it was cancelled. They [the other team] forgot to tell us, so on the way home we had a huge dance party,” Giard said.
Bella Blumenberg is walking down the field with her mother Angie, father Jason, younger brother Jack and younger sister Lola. She started to play field hockey when she was six years old. “Reciting all of out Severna Park cheers on the bus and at games is something I will never forget because everyone is involved and it’s different than anything I’ve ever experienced,” Blumenberg said.
Camille Donaghey is walking down the field with her mother Candace, father Chris and younger brother Caleb. Before high school her freshman year she had played field hockey for four years. “My favorite memory is when I made the team sophomore year after being cut my freshman year. Everyone rushed out onto the field and tackled me in a hug,” Donaghey said.
Caroline Welle is walking down the field with her grandfather Norman, mother Carol, father Stan and twin brother Conrad. She started to play field hockey when she was in third grade. “One of my favorite parts about being on the team is the cheering we do before games and at practices,” Welle said.
Delaney Ott is walking down the field with her mother Stacie, father Chuck and younger brother Zach. She has played defense for the past four years on the high school team. “A favorite memory I have is during freshman year, we had a practice at 10 o’clock the night before homecoming. We [the team] really bonded and it made the season so much more fun,” Ott said.
Emme Sayers is walking down the field with her mother Hilary and father Tim. She has played forward and midfield for the past four years on the team. “When we won the county championship last year against Chesapeake in over time is my favorite memory,” Sayers said.
Hailey Blachly is walking down the field with her mother Mary and two little siblings Jackson and Addie. She started to play field hockey in eighth grade, only a year before her freshman year. “One day we had a 6:00 a.m. practice in the fog. We couldn’t see anything that was two feet in front of us. Even the coaches couldn’t see across the field,” Blachly said.
Holly McNeilly is walking down the field with her mother Kristi, father Charlie and younger brother Sam. She has played for the highschool team the past three years as a forward. “Winning regionals last year was one of the best experiences about being a part of this team,” McNeilly said.
Hunter Chadwick is walking down the field with her grandmother Mary and father John. She started to play field hockey when she was in seventh grade. “During a hurricane my freshman year and we [the team] had practice. Everyone was freezing and we would steal balls from the varsity team. It became a huge game of capture the flag, or ball,” Chadwick said.
Kate Bray is walking down the field with her mother Alix, father Jim and younger brother Will. She does not have a set position and has played all the positions, except for goalie, the past four years. “A favorite memory I have is definitely cheering on the bus before games,” Bray said.
Lily Echeverria is walking down the field with her grandmother Linda, grandfather Jim and mom Nina. She started to play field hockey in fourth grade and has been a defender for the high school team since freshman year. “My favorite memory is definitely winning the county championship last year,” Echeverria said.