Girl’s Soccer Loses in State Semi-Finals

The Severna Park girls soccer team’s season comes to a close after losing to Walt Whitman high school during State Semi-final playoff game.

Anna Grace Keller

Junior Lauren Campbell is battling to the ball against Walt Whitman’s player number twenty-two. Throughout the game, Campbell was able to break through their defensive line and take shots on their goal. “The team was able to break through their defensive line easily, but unfortunately we never were able to finish,” Campbell said. Photo by Anna Grace Keller.

Shelby Chasser, Editor in Chief

The Severna Park girls soccer team recently made their 15th state tournament appearance on Saturday, Sept. 10, at Dr. Henry A. Wise High School. They battled against Walt Whitman high school during their state semi-final playoff game, walking away defeated by a score of 1-0.

Sophomores Lauryn Vincent and Jordyn Urrea escort teammate #24 off the field.

During the first half, Severna Park maintained possession in their attacking half for a majority of the time, but never was able to put the ball in the back of their net. “Whitman only was able to get a couple of break aways, but thanks to our defense they never had but one shot on goal,” senior captain Samantha Cremmins said.   

Anna Grace Keller

At half time, the score remained 0-0 with both teams putting up a fight. It wasn’t until midway through the second half that Severna Park conceded a goal. “They [Whitman] were able to get a shot off, and we were out of position,” Severna Park’s goalie, Katie Byrd said, “The ball bounced around in the six for a while, and they were able to put it in our net. It was just an unlucky break.”

Lauren Campbell comforts junior Rachel Reed after the 1-0 loss.

“For the entirety of the game we played really well, and nobody saw it coming,” Cremmins said, “I think we needed to finish on more opportunities when we had them, but I am happy with how the team played.”

As the season came to a close, the seniors were forced to say goodbye to the soccer program. Every senior who was on the team has been a part of the soccer program for all of their four years of high school, either on junior varsity or varsity. “This year we exceeded expectations and made the best memories while working hard,” senior captain Kailyn McCulloch said, “ This was my favorite soccer season out of the four years and it’s sad to watch the season go.”

The soccer team ended their season with a 17-2 record with their only losses being to South River and Walt Whitman. “I could not have asked for anything more than to have the season we had my senior year,” Cremmins said.

The girls walking off the field heartbroken with tears running down their face. Even though many of the girls were sad while walking off the field, they were left with great memories of the season. “Leaving practice everyday, I always had a smile on my face and was in a better mood. This will be a season I never forget,” Kailyn McCulloch said.
As the game came to an end, senior Emily Knight, junior Bella Espinoza and sophomore Ella Raines come together to support one another even though they lost the battle. Many of the girls, espically seniors, walked off heart-broken in tears. “We just weren’t expecting to lose. It was heart-breaking, but we will come back next year,” Katie Byrd said.