New Homecoming Rules

As the homecoming dance quickly approaches, so has a list of “Student Expectations for Homecoming.” A hand-out was distributed to students in early October containing a series of controversial rules. “Other than the unconstitutional searches I don’t care about the new homecoming rules,” junior Wyatt Eagleson said.

Greer Long, News Editor

As the annual homecoming dance approaches, students are reminded of the appropriate attire and behavior that they should bring to the event. During past years, the homecoming rules are assumed by students, as most teenagers know the do’s and don’ts of a school dance. However, this year, the administration distributed a list of “Student Expectations for Homecoming.” The hand-out has different sections, including ‘Dance Policy,’ ‘Expected Student Behavior,’ ‘Dress Code,’ and ‘Consequences,’ followed by a plethora of regulations. “These rules make me feel like I’m back in middle school,” junior Ally Gray said.

Some of the rules are common practices such as, “once a student leaves the dance, they may not return” and “students will respect and be courteous towards all students and SPHS faculty/staff.” On the contrary, a few of the statements made in the hand-out are never seen before mandates that usually require police action; “school officials may conduct searches of persons,” along with “all vehicles can be searched at any time by school officials.” Although conducting searches of students at school is legal, many teenagers believe that it violates their right to privacy and protection from the Fourth Amendment. “Other than the unconstitutional searches I don’t care about the new homecoming rules,” junior Wyatt Eagleson said.

Another practice that will be restricted this year is the manner in which teenagers dance at homecoming. The list states that “Sexually explicit dancing will NOT be tolerated” and further defines it as “freaking, grinding, or any other dancing that can be construed as vulgar or provocative, or intimate touching that stimulates sexual activity.” These rules raise the question of how much can the school administration control how students dance? The answer, however, is unclear, as there are no specific consequences listed on the hand-out. “I was looking forward to freaking at this year’s homecoming, but now I’m not sure if I’m even going at all,” senior Miranda Murphy said.