January Staff Editorial

Staff editorial regarding the treatment of students at Severna Park High School.

Moving+forward%2C+we+encourage+our+peers+to+be+less+of+a+bystander+and+hold+our+fellow+friends%2C+peers+and+classmates+accountable+for+their+actions+and+the+words+they+speak.+When+we+don%E2%80%99t+stand+up%2C+bystanders+become+just+as+much+of+a+problem+as+those+afflicting+the+hurt.+

Moving forward, we encourage our peers to be less of a bystander and hold our fellow friends, peers and classmates accountable for their actions and the words they speak. When we don’t stand up, bystanders become just as much of a problem as those afflicting the hurt.

Lilly Spilker and Sarah Sternhagen

The Talon is deeply saddened and horrified by the incident that occurred on Jan. 10 during the school day. This is not how Severna Park students treat others. As a student publication it’s important for us to make sure our school is represented in the correct way, and this video does not represent this school or our values as a community. “The highest and primary obligation of ethical journalism is to serve the public,” according to the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) and this incident does not serve our community. 

No person deserves to be treated this way.

It is disappointing that there are any students at our school that would think about acting in this inappropriate way. Every student deserves to be valued and feel respected both at school and everywhere in their lives.

The Alternate Curriculum Class (ACC) community is valued at SPHS in many ways through our unified sports teams and best buddies program. We have a large participation rate for students who want to interact with our ACC students through sports and clubs, and everyday interactions in the hallways. The ACC Falcon Fuel school business is a positive part of our school and many students interact with the students as friends.

Unfortunately this incident also included racial and homophobic slurs that the Talon editors and staff do not stand for – nor do they represent our community.  As a publication it is our job to “treat sources, subjects, colleagues and members of the public as human beings deserving of respect” – and “Boldly tell the story of the diversity and magnitude of the human experience” according to SPJ Code of Ethics.  This inappropriate incident infringed on that.

Moving forward, we encourage our peers to be less of a bystander and hold our fellow friends, peers and classmates accountable for their actions and the words they speak. When we don’t stand up, bystanders become just as much of a problem as those afflicting the hurt. If you see/hear something you should say something. This incident should hopefully open any students eyes that this kind of behavior is hurtful, unkind and unacceptable. We stand with those students who reached out to the faculty and administration when news of the video reached them. 

Don’t be a bystander.

Treat people as you would want to be treated. 

Words matter. 

This incident does not reflect the Severna Park or its community values.

From The Talon Editors and Staff