The Student News Site of Severna Park High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Recent Sports Scores

The Honor Societies of SPHS

What they are and what students need to know about them.
Elsa Webster
The elections at the Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica on Thursday, November 9th. The honor society meets on the second Thursday of every month during falcon block. All members of the honor society are required to attend every meeting with some exceptions. Left to right juniors Amberlynn Gong, Maeve Byrne and Emilie McKenna

As many high schools do, SPHS offers many different honor societies that highlight the plethora of classes that the school has to offer. Students, who, in middle school, had a minimum GPA of 3.6 through 6th and 7th grade as well as the first marking period of 8th grade were invited to join the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) their 8th grade year. This is likely the first interaction students have had with an honor society. In high school, there is a National Honor Society (NHS) which is run by world language Department Chair Matthew Sneck, in addition to many other honor societies that focus on different subjects specifically. 

“NHS provides students with the opportunity to highlight their leadership skills within the school and throughout the greater community as they engage in service to support others.” Mr. Sneck said. 

As NJHS had requirements that had to be met in order for students to be invited to join, NHS does as well.

“In order to be eligible to apply to NHS, students must have earned a cumulative weighted GPA of at least 3.50.” Mr. Sneck said. Students must also complete an application and have three recommendations from SPHS faculty members to join NHS. 

Honor societies are more than just a recognition of GPA and other grades. They have many opportunities for students.

NHS can also serve as a resume builder for students that need it in addition to other benefits.

“NHS provides scholarships nationwide and we offer a scholarship at the school level. NHS is a prestigious experience to add to a resume. Students will earn a sense of self-fulfillment by serving the community. Students earn cords to wear at graduation provided they fulfill all NHS requirements and are in good standing.” Mr. Sneck said.

All honor societies in SPHS have specific benefits as well as the opportunity to earn cords at graduation. 

“SNHS members can apply for scholarships and build up their resumes. SNHS students should feel proud of their accomplishments and will receive an honor cord that they can wear during graduation,” Spanish Three and Four teacher Yaneth Posada said. Sra. Posada runs the Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica or Spanish National Honor Society. 

Some of the honor societies have merit opportunities that benefit the school as a whole, not just the students involved in the honor society.

“We focus on learning about Spanish speaking cultures; we work on earning the required 10 merits per year, through volunteering and participating in extracurricular activities; we maintain the Monarch Butterfly Garden in our school grounds; and we write appreciation notes for staff during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Valentines Day,” Sra. Posada said regarding the different types of activities SNHS does. 

The different honor societies do different types of activities when they have their honor society meetings. 

“Review merit opportunities and we are trying to start a tutoring session during falcon block. The students last year developed a presentation for the sophomores about scheduling science courses,” science teacher Jeanine Cosh, who runs SPHS’ science honor society, said about what is done at their honor society meetings.  “During meetings we try to have a fun STEM activity, and we are looking for guest speakers.”

Students can join the Science National Honor society in the spring, as long as certain requirements are fulfilled.

“Fill out a brief application in the spring, with a minimum GPA requirement and the understanding that you will take a high level science course your junior and senior years,” Mrs. Cosh said about how a student joins the science honor society.

Regardless of which honor societies you may be in and which one peaks a student’s interest, all of SPHS’ honor societies are a great way to help out the community, learn valuable lessons and show an interest in a particular subject that may be something a student wishes to pursue in the future.

“It is an honor to become a member of a National Honor Society, where students have the opportunity to learn and demonstrate leadership skills.” Sra. Posada said about why students should join an honor society.