The Student News Site of Severna Park High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Recent Sports Scores

Sipping Nostalgia

Beloved seasonal tradition, the Peppermint Chip Milkshake captures hearts and memories
Chick-fil-A
A photo of the iconic Peppermint Chip Milkshake at Chick-fil-A. This winter delicacy will be available for a limited time starting on Nov. 13, 2023 and ending on Jan. 6, 2024.

Chick-fil-A is a favorite dine-in spot for many in the Severna Park area, recognized for its fast and delectable food. However, every year, just in time for the holidays, this seasonal drink emerges that brings joy to many across the nation- the Peppermint Chip Milkshake. This festive treat, captivating hearts with its flavorful profile and beloved tradition, is eagerly anticipated every year.

The Peppermint Chip Milkshake made its first appearance in 2008, becoming a classic item on Chick-fil-A’s menu as a limited-time offering during the holiday season. It was an instant hit, and people couldn’t get enough of it. Even today, people are still obsessed with it, just like Emma Willetts, who said it’s her “favorite little seasonal treat…it’s the perfect balance of mint and chocolate, it’s so refreshing.” 

It’s been a seasonal sensation for 15 years, successfully tapping into the nostalgia associated with holiday flavors. It truly evokes memories of the holidays, and for Fiona Kelley, it’s a staple within her family during the start of her festive traditions. 

Are you a fan of the Peppermint Chip Milkshake?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“It gets me so excited for the holiday season and every year my family tries to get it the day that it comes out.” To be truly honest, limited-time festive drinks and flavors not only invoke memories but bring a little spark of joy in a cold and dark time, and for many that can just be a moment of peace and tranquility to your day, even when things might seem hopeless. 

“I remember the days when my grandma would come pick me and my siblings up when my mom went off to work and we would go to Chick-fil-A and get chicken nuggets and milkshakes it was some of the best parts of my holidays. My grandma always spoiled us with treats and goodies even when we weren’t supposed to have them, she always wanted to make us happy and drinking that milkshake every year brings back a lot for me and my siblings just allowing us to be kids again even if it’s for a short while.” Kelley said.

That’s what the holidays have always felt like for me, a time when I can look back and think about all my happy memories, and tasting or smelling seasonal items only makes those memories stronger. The Peppermint Chip Milkshake at Chick-fil-A is not just a drink; it’s a vessel for nostalgia reminiscent of the warmth and joy of the holidays in the past and the present. As each year we wait for its return and many other festive traditions, let us cherish the moments it begins to sip of tradition, a taste of joy to bring back the magic of childhood during the festive season.