The Student News Site of Severna Park High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Recent Sports Scores

Eating Snow?

Five easy recipes to make from snow
Andrea Alcombright
Snow is safe to eat as long as it hasn’t been disturbed in any type of way and has no discolorations. It is also recommended that it should only be eaten in moderation.

Have you ever thought, man, I’d love to eat snow, but how do I make it tasty? Well, here are five different recipes you can make with fresh snow. 

The first recipe you could create is called Vegan Coconut Maple Snow Cream. For this concoction you will need 8 cups of snow, 1 can of coconut milk, and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. First, chill the can of coconut milk, and skim off the cream. Then, put the snow in a large bowl, stir the ingredients together, and lightly mix until combined. 

The second recipe you can make with fresh snow is called Maple Candy, or Sugar on Snow. This New England favorite also goes by the name of “Leather Aprons” or “Leather Britches”, thanks to its chewy texture. To make Sugar on Snow, first start by heating maple syrup in a pan to around 234F degrees and drizzle it in strips over packed snow. Because it cools so quickly, it does not have a chance to crystallize and instead, transforms into a taffy-like treat that can be swirled onto a popsicle stick. 

Another snow-based recipe that is easy to make is Peppermint Snow Ice Cream. For this, you will need 8 cups of snow, 1 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, and 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract. First, if you want, place the can of milk outside and allow it to chill. Put the snow in a large bowl, stir in the chilled milk and peppermint, then lightly mix until combined. Now you have yourself some tasty snow-cream. 

Our fourth edible snow recipe is Spicy Honey Candy with sea salt. You will need 1 cup of honey, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, cayenne pepper and sea salt to taste. Start by mixing the honey with the vanilla and cayenne to a desired level of heat. Then, pour gobs of honey in clean snow and roll them around with a spoon until formed into balls, remove from snow, and sprinkle with sea salt. 

Our final recipe is called the Hot Cocoa Snow Slushie. To add a little backstory, this recipe is a riff on the famously messy and addictive frozen hot chocolate from New York City’s Serendipity III restaurant. The secret recipe was guarded for years – when customers asked how it was made, they were told that the restaurant had a “Rube Goldberg machine churning it out in the back – a hodgepodge of arms, wheels, gears, handles, paddles, and even canaries in cages working in concert to concoct the magic elixir,” Serendipity’s owner, Stephen Bruce said. But then in 2004, they finally spilled their secret recipe to the world, and now the recipe can even be combined with snow for the world’s best hot cocoa snow slushie. To make this decadent creation, you will need three ounces of your favorite chocolate, 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder, 1 ½ tablespoons sugar, 1 ½ cups of milk, three cups of snow, and some whipped cream. Chop the chocolate up into little pieces and melt in a double boiler over simmering water. Add the cocoa and sugar, stir constantly until blended. Remove from heat and then stir in ½ cup milk until smooth, and cool/ room temperature. Once cool, add the remaining milk and stir the mix into snow until it’s slushie-like. Top with whipped cream, and then indulge.